Welcome to Susquehanna Valley Pain Management’s blog. We are excited to share industry updates, new medical trends and information to keep you in the know about safe and effective pain management. And, what better way to kick off the blog than in Pain Awareness Month. Since pain can take a variety of forms we are always working to better understand pain conditions and encourage people to seek appropriate help.
Why Do We Have Pain Awareness Month?
- To increase knowledge about the effects of pain
- To educate patients about advanced treatment options for pain management
- To thank those who help: family and friends, caregivers and researchers
- To continue researching more effective and safe pain management treatments that reduce suffering and costs
Who Does Pain Impact?
- According to the The American Academy of Pain Medicine (AAPM), nearly 100 million Americans experience chronic pain, which is more than those with heart disease, cancer and diabetes combined.
- AAPM also cites that more than 25 million American adults experience pain on a daily basis. Of those, about 14.5 million experience pain at the highest level.
- National Spine & Pain Centers research shows that working adults can lose an average of 4.6 hours of productivity per week due to a pain condition.
According to research from National Spine & Pain Centers, lack of proper pain management can result in:
- Wounds that heal slower
- Depression and/or anxiety
- Loss of mobility and/or strength
- Disturbed sleep patterns
- Decreased appetite
- Needless suffering
Available Treatment Methods
Each treatment method should be unique to the individual and their situation and chosen under the guidance of a physician. At Susquehanna Pain Management Center, we treat each patient with personalized care for their pain condition and direct them to the most effective route to relief.
If you or someone you know is suffering with pain we encourage you and your loved ones to reach out and begin taking steps toward pain management.
Make an appointment today!